News & Events
Equal Opportunity Cell
The Indian Society is singular in terms of the multifarious hues it has absorbed in its fabric. Living within its clinch are numerous groups that are segregated on the basis of language, ethnicity, class, caste, religion etc. The existence of these groups has resulted in a highly entrenched system of social stratification wherein some groups are placed at the upper end of the spectrum and others at the nether end. To augment this system of inequality the variable of gender also plays an important role. This pecking order of things has brought about the hegemonic domination of a few to the detriment of others. Owing to the same, barriers of denial have been erected which limit and restrict the opportunities (educational, economic, health etc.) of the less privileged members of the society.
This inequitable situation warrants a redemption which is possible through Equal Opportunity measures and policies.
The Equal Opportunity Cell, Govt. Degree College, Dharmanagar was created by a mandate of the UGC specifying the need of a functionary within the college set up which would facilitate affirmative action in order to ensure equal opportunity for all within its folds.
The Equal Opportunity Cell primarily orients its activities around training and development programs for the students which provide them with supplementary academic support in the form of remedial coaching.
The objectives of the Cell are:
- To create an atmosphere of Equal Opportunity through awareness generation programmes.
- To provide auxiliary support towards skill development and enhancing employability of students.
- To tailor development and sensitization programmes to meet the distinct needs of the students.
- To expedite legal redressal in matters of violation of equal opportunity.
- No discrimination on grounds of race, caste, community, disability or minority status.
- Affirmative actions towards SC, ST, OBC, women, and Minorities.
Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Cell
Dr. Manik Bhattacharjee, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics
Contact: 03822-220387, +91-9612835597